Airfield History

Ranger Airfield is city-owned but maintained by volunteers. A number of restoration projects, classics, and ultralights are based at the 104-year-old airstrip. The annual Old School Fly-In & Airshow is held each October and hosts visitors from far and wide.

The atmosphere is unique at the airfield and for good reason. In late November 1911, a Wright Model B visited Ranger. The pilot, adventurer R.G. Fowler, was flying coast-to-coast with his modified Wright in an attempt to win a prize offered by William Hearst. Receiving the award required completing the trip in 30 days, it took Fowler 112.

When the McCleskey oil well blew in 1917 the small town of Ranger swelled to 30,000 people. The oil boom transformed the quiet community into a rowdy, fortune-seeking free-for-all. The discovery came when the industrial world was depending more on oil and supply was not keeping up with demand. Fueling the fighting machines of World War I placed an added urgency on the need. After the armistice Ranger was known for having “The boom that won the war.” In 1919 more freight was unloaded in Ranger by the Texas & Pacific Railroad than at any other location upon its line, including the larger stations of New Orleans, Fort Worth and Dallas.Dedication Day 1928

Ranger was the largest city between Fort Worth and El Paso. At one point Ranger was home to 29 oil companies (including headquarters of nine of the largest oil companies in the U.S.) 5 refining companies, 45 hotels, 43 groceries, 28 restaurants, 13 lumber companies, 9 drug stores, and 6 picture shows. In 1927 a group of citizens decided Ranger needed an airfield. Several plots of land were surveyed with U.S. Army aircraft and it was decided the original field Fowler chose in 1911 was most suitable. On November 11, 1928, Cooper’s field was officially deemed an airport. Forty-four airplanes and over ten thousand people attended the dedication.R.G. Fowler's Wright B on V.V. Cooper's land 1911

Flying across the U.S. in July 1931, Amelia Earhart graced the grass in her Beech-Nut Gum sponsored autogyro. Her visit drew a large crowd but the Great Depression was already placing a toll on the airfield. In 1937, Army Air Corps survey photos labeled the hangar “Abandoned”. But the looming war in Europe would help save the airfield. A Civilian Pilot Training Program was established in 1939 to help provide pilots and mechanics with the knowledge they’d need to fight victoriously. After WWII, the field was modernized and took the shape of a typical general aviation airport. An asphalt runway was added as well as a number of additions to the original hangar. But because of the decline in Ranger’s population the airfield was not improved or maintained thereafter.

Amelia Earhart Autogiro

On June 16, 1931 Amelia Earhart landed her Pitcairn autogiro at Ranger Airfield. It was refueled with 30 gallons of Naturaline from Lone Star Gasoline Co. The fuel was given to Earhart, compliments of the company. This photograph was taken just prior to takeoff.

By the 1990’s, when it was all but abandoned, a group of volunteers came together to clear the remaining grass runway of mesquite trees and utilize the old airfield once again. Today, Ranger is home to two thousand citizens. Because of the city’s size and problems that trouble most small towns, little money is available for the airfield. Volunteers still see to it that Ranger Airfield remains open, but its future is uncertain. The asphalt runway is in dire need of repaving and the 1928 hangar is in desperate need of restoration. Support is needed to help restore and preserve the antique airfield for the education and enjoyment of future generations.

Ranger Flying Service 1939